I was teaching CPR/FA to CYS employees on Friday and we discussed the impact of heat related illnesses on people.
Heat stroke is fatal.
The progression from heat cramps to heat exhaustion to heat stroke can be mitigated if certain measures are taken at the earliest signs and symptoms.
There are things you can do to help reduce your chances of getting heat stroke from staying hydrated to drinking beverages with carbohydrates and electrolytes. Even relaxing in a shady spot or going indoors to cool off is key.
This got me thinking about your dogs.
Dogs can also suffer from heat stroke and the impact of this heat related disease is even more fatal for them.
It takes only a slight temperature difference to raise their body temperature and they can die within 15 minutes of their bodies getting too hot.
Dogs’ bodies are unable to efficiently cool themselves like people can through sweating.
What can you do help your dog stay comfortable during the summer?
- Walk during early morning or evening times. These are the cooler parts of the day.
- Give access to water 24hrs a day. Your dogs staying hydrated is so necessary!
- Get a kiddie pool and fill with cool water. Your dogs may love taking a dip in the pool. In the cooler months, you can turn the kiddie pool into a digging pit!
- Giving your dogs an elevated bed like a Kuranda bed https://kuranda.com/ will help with keeping air circulating, placing near a fan can help create a nice resting place for your dog.
- Giving your dog frozen snacks like a frozen Kong stuffed with safe to eat berries like blueberries can help your dog cool off too!